Are you using the right moisturiser for your skin type?
Moisturisers – there’s lotions, creams, balms, oils, gels. Some are light weight, medium weight, heavier with a thicker and creamy consistency.
Whether your skin is normal, dry, combination, oily, ageing, damaged, sensitive – whatever your skin type, you should most definitely be using a moisturiser. All skin types benefit from using a moisturiser, key is, to use the right moisturiser for your skins needs.
The beauty therapist in me will always recommend and remind you that a daily skincare routine of 1) cleansing 2) toning and 3) moisturising will have you on track to achieving your best skin. These 3 steps are your daily skincare essentials for great looking, healthy skin.
Let’s talk about step 3….the moisturiser.
What is a moisturiser? Put simply, moisturiser is a product that has been designed to protect the skin. To prevent it from becoming too dry or too oily. The moisturisers job is to trap moisture in the outer layer of the skin (epidermis), to soften skin and reduce moisture evaporation.
Different moisturisers ingredients will suit different skin types…some rich in ingredients to help fight anti-ageing, some to reduce inflammation and calm the skin, others to fight acne, or the soften and hydrate the skin.
Let’s dive in and explore more about the different skin types and which SEED skincare moisturiser will suit which skin type best….
Normal to dry skin – you want to lock in moisture, hydrate and nourish the skin.
Dry skin is characterised by a lack of moisture in its corneous layer (outer), resulting in tightness and sometimes flaking skin. The skin may appear dull, typically on the cheeks and around the eyes. It may lack elasticity, with fine lines and wrinkles. In some more severe cases, itching and burning may occur.
Normal to dry skin can benefit from using a medium to heavier textured cream. Something like our Avocado Moisture Cream or Sandalwood Moisture Cream are good choices, these are rich, creamy yet fast absorbing creams. After a rich, balm to nourish, soften and smooth your dry skin our Organic Rescue Balm is perfect. Got dry skin but like a slightly lighter texture but still need that hydration and moisturising factor try our Quandong Facial Moisturiser or Calendula Facial Moisturiser
Using a serum or oil for extra nourishment is a wise step too, this will boost your already nourishing moisturiser and help to give you more radiant, softer skin. A serum like our Skin Brightening Oil or pure organic Avocado Oil is ideal.
Normal to dry, sensitive skin – This skin type can present itself in many ways. Displaying symptoms of itching, burning, stinging or visible signs of dryness, redness, inflammation, peeling, flaking and scaling.
Usually sensitive skin is on the dry side (but not always). If you do have sensitive, dry skin you want to lock in moisture. If its irritated you want to reduce inflammation and calm the skin down.
Choose unscented products that are plant based and as natural as possible. Our Avocado Moisture Cream in a lovely, rich and creamy texture. It is full of beneficial oils and butters that are there to soften, soothe, calm and hydrate the skin, plus it is unscented. Our Calendula Moisture Cream is suitable for sensitive skins who can tolerate essential oils (wee included lavender and mandarin in this product) Another unscented product we have is our Soothing Moisture Cream which is very nourishing, calming and balancing and our pure, organic Avocado Oil is also a good choice for extra boost of antioxidants and nutrients.
Mature, ageing, damaged skin – the process of ageing effects the skin in many ways. There are extrinsic and intrinsic factors that contribute towards how your skin ages. Check out this blog post for a detailed explanation on this.
As we age, our skin naturally becomes less able to protect itself from damage as it could when we were younger. That’s why it is so important to care for our skin as the years go by with a good skincare regime and great products if we want to have our healthiest skin possible.
Our skin is the most superficial part of the body and the signs of ageing are most visible in our skin, particularly, our face. Some characteristics of ageing skin are…dark spots, sagging skin, dull appearance, fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, patchy skin, thinning skin. Ok, so enough about what ageing skin looks like. What do I have that can help it?!
From a natural, vegan, plant based ingredient skincare formulating perspective, mature, ageing and damaged skin responds well to products that are rich in naturally rich in antioxidants, are natural AHAs and packed full of vitamins and minerals. Both applying skincare products rich in these elements is beneficial as is eating foods rich in these nutrients! Working to improve ageing skin is done best with a holistic approach from both the inside of the body and on the outside.
Our Sandalwood Moisture Cream is a great night cream for mature, ageing skin, our Quandong Facial Moisturiser is a fantastic day moisturiser (& can be used at night also) thanks to the addition of Quandong extract, a native Australian berry rich in vitamin c and has a natural AHA effect on the skin promoting cell renewal and rejuvenation. Our Skin Brightening Facial Oil is 100% packed full of beneficial ingredients that help soften, smooth out and improve skin texture, even out skin tone, reduce any inflammation, deeply nourish and hydrate the skin. Using our Rosewater Facial Spray throughout the day will help hydrate and nourish ageing skin.
Normal to combination, oily, acne prone skin – this skin type is very common. It has areas of dryness along with areas of oiliness. Usually the dryness is on the cheeks and/or forehead with the oiliness along the T zone (forehead, nose and chin area). This skin type may experience open pores, congested skin and inflammation in the oily areas.
It is important when choosing products for combination skin that you don’t overdo it and create too much nourishment for the oily areas and similarly you don’t want to go and strip the dry areas by not moisturising that skin enough.
Using products that are non comedogenic is important. Meaning, they won’t clog the pores and cause congestion. Jojoba oil is an excellent, non comedogenic natural ingredient and very helpful when caring for combination, blemished skin. It is equally good for dry skin so an ideal natural ingredient choice.
Our Lilly Pilly Range has been designed with combination skin concerns in mind and has ingredients in them to concentrate on clearing the blemishes whilst still softening the areas that may be dry and not blemished.
Combination, acne prone skin responds well to a light weight cream or lotion, something fast absorbing with ingredients close to the skin natural sebum level. Our Lilly Pilly Lotion fits this description. Our organic Jojoba Oil is excellent for blemished prone skin too and can be used alone or add just a drop or two into your daily moisturiser for added benefits. Pure Tea Tree essential oil is great for calming down and clearing combination, blemished, acne prone skin and we use it extensively in our Lilly Pilly range.
3 Tips to get the Most out of your Moisturiser.
- Always apply moisturiser to clean skin. Ensure your face has been thoroughly cleansed with a cleanser and you have clean, fresh skin. Ensuring your face is clean before applying your moisturiser is vital. There is little point in applying a fabulous moisturising product if you are covering it over skin that has grime, sweat, dirt and impurities on it from the day that has been. You wouldn’t wax a car that hadn’t been cleaned first, same applies for your precious skin. Cleanse, tone and then moisturise.
- Add a drop of serum with your nightly moisturiser for added nourishment. This may not sound like a big deal but it actually makes a noticeable difference when done nightly for a few weeks. You will notice an improvement in your skin tone, texture and appearance with the inclusion of a concentrated serum.
- Apply your moisturiser twice a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Creating a daily skincare routine is essential if you are wanting to improve, restore and maintain the health of your skin. Cleanse, tone and moisturise daily. 1-2-3. It is 3 simple steps, which only take a few minutes but will give you great results! Cleanse in the shower, quickly tone and then moisturise, done! If you don’t already cleanse, tone and moisturise twice a day – try doing it for 2 weeks – commit to this simple skincare regime for at least 2 weeks and I am sure you’ll feel and see positive results in no time.
The Holistic Approach
As always, your best looking skin isn’t thanks to just one element. Oh we wish, where’s that miracle cream – hahaha! You know me, I’m not into miracle claims or quick fixes – I find people always get their best results from applying a mindful, holistic approach.
Great products are key, no doubt about it, that’s why I created my business, I love natural skincare! I also love all the other elements that go into getting the best, healthy looking skin you can.
Be mindful of these extrinsic factors…
- The environment you are in eg; sun exposure, time indoors in air-conditioning or heating, change of seasons, windy conditions.
- Apply that sunscreen, wear a hat and sunscreen.
- Be mindful of what passes your lips, eat a healthy, balance diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Consume adequate water and stay hydrated. Hydration is a big factor toward health skin. If you are finding you drink plenty of water but still have dry, dehydrated skin…then consider your diet and lifestyle. Are you consuming juicy, hydrating foods? Are you drinking too much alcohol, caffeine or carbonated drinks? Are you wearing sunscreen and being sun safe? Are you using the right moisturiser for your skin type? Are you on any medications that may be effecting your skin?
- Being mindful of the bigger picture and adopting a holistic approach is a great way to achieving your healthiest, happiest looking skin.
Here’s to a happy and healthy you!
Until next time, thanks so much for reading.
Michelle x x