Does Eye Cream make a difference?
We’ve all heard the Eye Cream promises. Seen the miracle product advertised telling us how it will reduce or dare I say, erase the signs of ageing, fine lines and wrinkles, dark circles and bags. Oh wow! Take my money, where is this miracle cream?? Can I have a jar please!
Ok, so let’s discuss a few things about Eye Creams and the delicate skin around the windows to our souls and how to get those eyes of ours looking and feeling fabulous and healthy!
The skin around our eyes is definitely more fragile than that of anywhere else on our face. There are fewer glands in this area than the rest of the face making it more prone to age quicker & show signs of dryness sooner. It is generally the first area we start to notice any fine lines appear. For that reason alone using a product formulated specifically to combat these concerns makes sense to use rather than doubling up with our trusty face moisturiser expecting the same result as the rest of our face. Using your face cream/moisturiser will be of help, absolutely! but using a product designed specifically for the eye area is even better.
What’s the difference between an Eye Cream and regular face cream/moisturiser?
The difference ultimately lies in the ingredients used and also the quality of these ingredients. Any good eye cream is formulated using rich emollients and active ingredients to help keep the skin supple and moist. Including quality plant based nutrient rich vegetable oils, powerful plant extracts, natural antioxidants, plant based emollients & hydrating humectants all contribute to an effective eye cream product.
Selecting an eye cream that has been formulated with specific ingredients such as these above and also a small quantity of premium essential oils specific for skin regeneration and repair of the area is a good choice.
Eye products come in different styles from gel form, cream form to oil form. Generally an Eye Gel is made with the intention to help calm puffiness and reduce inflammation, soothe and hydrate. Eye creams and eye oils are helpful to repair and regenerate, nourish and protect, even and firm skin tone.
Any ethical skincare company out there will take the time to create all of the products in their range differently. They will create products with formulations made specifically to target areas of concerns and not just put the same product into another jar and package it up with a different name selling it off as a different product. Sad but true, there are many skincare companies out there that do just that. Re-purposing products in duplicate forms. It saves them manufacturing time and costs, ingredient costs etc. We do not do this. Each different product created at SEED skincare is formulated specifically to address certain concerns and achieve desired outcomes.
What is the purpose of an Eye Cream? Typically when people are seeking a product for their eyes they are wanting to hydrate, moisturise, nourish, soothe, diminish fine lines and wrinkles, reduce dark circles, reduce bags etc. The aim of using an eye cream is to target those concerns and improve your skin health and appearance.
So how does an eye cream help with these concerns? As mentioned earlier, a great eye cream will be created using quality ingredients with a gentle yet effective formula. It is the different ingredients used for their own unique skincare properties that will be the key to helping reduce the effects of ageing appearance of the skin around your eye area.
- Your eyes need hydration – that’s were the humectant comes in. Humectants are important cosmetic ingredients as they help prevent loss of moisture thereby retaining the skin’s natural moisture. Glycerine is a common humectant and one we like to use in our products. There are many synthetic humectants out there used in countless skincare products. Many glycerines are also palm derived. We choose to use palm free glycerine. If you wish to use vegan friendly, cruelty free, palm free, plant based ingredients it would be a wise move to do some research and educate yourself to become an ingredient savvy consumer.
- You want the skin around your eyes to feel moisturized – again the humectant used helps greatly here as does the emollient action of plant based vegetable oils. Emollients are used to help the skin feel soft, moisturized and supple and to prevent dryness and scaling to occur. Plant based oils and waxes rich in minerals and vitamins are excellent natural emollient ingredients. They help to moisturise and soften the skin.
- You are looking for healthy looking skin and need cell regeneration – this is where the plant based oils, essential oils and plant extracts do their work. Plant based Essential oils are best described as the ‘essence’ of a plant, they are used in a wide variety of skincare applications to help promote both physical and emotional well-being. Plant extracts are rich in antioxidants and can help to slow the effects of free radicals which start oxidation which is a process that causes damage from oxygen that can lead to cell dysfunction. We’ve all seen how a peeled apple turns brown once exposed to the air, then you’ve seen oxidation in action. The plant based ingredients rich in natural antioxidants block the effects of free radicals, they end up being oxidized. This is why it’s important to constantly replenish your supply of antioxidants by eating your quota of fresh fruits and veggies.
- Fine lines, wrinkles be gone! Give me some nourishment, soothing and softening, where does that come from – here is where the addition of the micro-nutrient vitamins work hard such as Vitamin E or C. Vitamins can act as an anti-oxidant, are excellent cell regenerators and as catalyst for many biological functions of the skin.
When to apply? You can apply eye cream both in the morning and at night. If you are going to apply only once a day I suggest nighttime application. If your skin care regime needs a little help a good tip is to keep your eye cream by your bed and apply it last thing before you go to sleep, it only take a few moments to apply and then you are done, sweet dreams!
How to apply? Be gentle when applying. Remember the skin here is thinner and more delicate. Gently dab and then smooth the product under and around the eye socket. Using your ring finger applying gentle pressure. No firm rubbing as this can drag the delicate skin and cause damage.
When to expect results? Continued daily/nightly use of a quality eye cream will keep your eye area fresh, hydrated, nourished and protected. If you’ve never used a product specific for your eyes you should notice a difference to the area in approx 4-6weeks. The skin may look more hydrated and moisturised in particular. Our skin changes constantly throughout our lives, for better or worse. Our skin does in fact regenerate itself approximately every 30 days. Adopting a regular skincare regime using plant based, quality products is all part of the solution to maintaining the health and vitality of our largest organ – our protective skin!
Other factors to consider…Eye Creams are certainly fabulous products to include in your skin care regime and definitely do help BUT like I always say….Great skincare is only one step toward achieving your healthiest skin.
Like most things in life, we need to consider other factors, in the case of how our skin look consider these factors….
- your diet, particularly your intake of fresh fruit and veggies,
- your genetics play a part in how you look,
- do you take medications,
- consider hormonal changes eg pmt, menopause,
- environmental factors, lifestyle choices, stress levels,
- how much water do you consume, how much alcohol do you drink,
- how much sleep are you getting,
- look at your current skin care regime,
- how much exercise you get,
- think about your facial expressions eg frowning, squinting etc….
Healthy skin starts within. I love to approach healthy skin on a holistic level and always like to remind people about the whole picture. It brings awareness and mindfulness to everything we do…by thinking more widely for a solution to anything it brings us more in tune with ourselves and in turn we gain a deeper understanding for many things.
Do you use an Eye Cream? If not check out our organic eye cream right here.
Did this blog post help explain some of the intrigue around eye creams for you? I hope so.
Feel free to discuss any thoughts you have by leaving me a comment below. I’d love to hear your thoughts around eye creams, eye serums, oils or gels and if you use them or not.
Until next time, here’s to a healthy and happy you!
Michelle x x