Devising a skincare regime in today’s busy life is not an easy task for many but this routine self care ritual will see your skin in good stead should you choose to carry it out daily.
Cleansing is the 1st step of any skin care regime. It’s soooo important to cleanse your skin. Even if you don’t wear makeup you still should cleanse your skin every night.
The purpose of cleansing is to:
- Clean the pores of your skin
- Remove daily grime such as excess oil, perspiration, dirt, dust, make-up.
- Remove naturally loosened dead skin cells.
- Help remove blockages, such as blackheads and pimples and begin to treat these skin problems.
Your cleanser should not cause the removal of too much oil or moisture or upset your skin’s pH balance significantly. Nor should it be irritating. Many commercial grade cleansers cause irritation to the skin because of the ingredients they contain. Ingredients like sodium lauryl sulphates (SLS), synthetic colour, synthetic fragrances, harsh preservatives. It’s not surprising the skin can be left feeling irritated or striped using these undesirable ingredients.
A very common mistake is to assume that a lot of bubbles or foam are beneficial to cleansing the skin effectively when in fact, they can be detrimental. Bubbles may look impressive and give you the illusion that you are cleansing your skin because you can see the foam, bubbles etc but this unnatural effect is a by-product of sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and an ingredient for so many skin problems people have today.
Good news – there are many, many natural alternatives which work much better than the commercial ones!
When should I cleanse? As a general rule, you should cleanse your skin twice a day. First thing in the morning as your skin pushes waste onto the surface throughout the night (now you know why pimples always appear when you wake up!). Secondly at night, to remove surface impurities such as pollutants, makeup and the general accumulation of dirt throughout the day.
How to cleanse properly:
- Wet your face with warm water to assist in loosening any surface impurities and the help soften your skin.
- Apply your cleanser. You can apply by putting the product onto your hands or by applying it to cotton wool balls and using these on your face.
- I prefer to use my hands. Gently massage the product into your skin in an upward circular motion. Gently massaging your face and neck. Doing this helps stimulate oxygen carrying blood cells and will help to improve the overall feel and texture of your skin.
- Massage your cleanser thoroughly over your entire face, especially any areas of concern such as blocked pores. Once you have cleansed your entire face and neck it’s time to remove.
- Remove the cleanser from your face completely with warm warm and a damp sponge or face washer. Rinse off completely paying attention to the hairline and jaw line. Once rinsed, gently pat your skin dry with a towel.
Here are our cleansers that we make and what skin type/s benefit from using them.
- Quandong Cream Cleanser for normal to dry, dehydrated, ageing, fine lines & wrinkles.
- Calendula Cream Cleanser for normal to sensitive, dry, ageing, dehydrated, inflamed.
As a general rule, those who have skin that is dry, dehydrated, ageing, sensitive will benefit most from using a cream cleanser or milk cleanser. Makeup is very effectively removed using a cream cleanser. The majority of a cream cleanser is made up from oil. When added with water this acts as a dissolvent which removes impurities from the skin. There is no feeling of dryness after use due to the creamy texture of the product.
GEL & FOAMING CLEANSERS
- Lilly Pilly Gel Cleaner
This product has a gel texture and is ideal for those with normal to oily, combination skin types. A good choice for those prone to blemishes, acne, blackheads and spots. Gel cleansers work hard to break down oil and dirt on the skin. Most commercial gel or foaming cleansers contain very harsh chemical foaming agents that can strip the skin of its natural oil. When this occurs, the skin starts to stress and over-compensate and works hard to product more oil which perpetuates oily skin problems. Our gel cleanser is based on castille liquid soap, a very gentle cleanser made from olive oil. We’ve included a combination of pure essential oils which are renown for clearing spots, blemishes and re-balancing the skin.
- FACIAL SOAP
- Tea Tree & Turmeric for normal to combination, oily, blemished skin.
- Black Clay (scented) for all skin types.
- Black Clay (unscented) for all skin types including sensitive.
Many people shy away at the thought of using soap on their face believing it will be too drying on their skin. Typically this is the case for the many mass produced, commercially made soap.
When you purchase truly natural soap, handmade from scratch using a soap formula that has been specifically created to use on the face you will be pleasantly surprised at how great your skin feels from using it. Our facial soaps are a completely different formula to that of our body soaps, our shaving soap has a different formula again. Our 3 facial soaps are very softening and conditioning on the skin and will not leave any dryness at all due to the nourishing and hydrating ingredients we use.
To use our facial soap you can simply rub the soap into the palms of your hands until a rich lather appears and then apply this lather to your face and cleanse your skin thoroughly, rinse with warm water and flannel, repeat if necessary. Our facial soaps are great to keep in the shower, it’s a very convenient & time saving way to cleanse your face with facial soap whilst in the shower.
We love facial soaps, you can view our range here in more detail.
We’ve actually written a separate blog post about Oil Cleansing as it’s a different concept to traditional cleansing.
I personally like to Oil Cleanse 1-2 times a week. It is a little more time consuming way to cleanse than a traditional cleansing method. Oil Cleansing is very effective at removing makeup and grime. Carried out properly Oil Cleansing can help greatly to improve many skin concerns.
For detailed information about Oil Cleansing head over to our blog here.
So that’s a brief run down on facial cleansing methods and the different facial cleansing products you can use.
I personally use a combination of cleansing methods as follows.
In the morning I will use either a cream cleanser or facial cleansing soap.
1-2 times a week I will give my skin an Oil Cleanse at night.
Typically most nights I cleanse using either the Calendula Or Quandong cream cleansers, sometimes I’ll use the Lilly Pilly Gel Cleanser if I have a spot or concerns of blemished.
Cleansing is such an important step to any skin care regime. If you skin isn’t properly cleansed, the full benefits of your moisturisers/serums etc will not be had as your skin will not be a lovely clean surface to being with and for the nourishment of these products not properly absorbed.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post. Got a question about facial cleansing? Unsure which cleansing product to use? Ask me! I’d be happy to discuss and help if I can.
Until next time, happy cleansing!
Michelle x x