This easy to prepare dish is so delicious and such a healthy start to your day.
A super tasty breakfast that will give you all the strength and energy you need to carry you through the busiest of mornings. The star of this dish is good old fashioned oats. Oats are loaded with important vitamins, minerals and plant compounds. They are an excellent source of fiber, including the powerful soluble fiber beta-glucan. Beta-glucan partically dissolves in water and forms a thick, gel-like solution in the gut. The said health benefits of beta-gluten fiber include:
- Reduced cholesterol levels
- Reduced blood sugar and insulin response
- Increased feeling of fullness
- Increased growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract.
Bottom line: Oats are good stuff, better than good really!
Here’s the recipe to make your own trendy cafe quality Bircher Muesli you can enjoy at home, everyday.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1 cup water
- Topping: yogurt of your choice, fruit, sultanas, sweetener.
How do I make it?
- Pour the raw rolled oats into a dish.
- Mix the lemon juice and water together.
- Pour lemon juice/water mixture over the oats, mix together.
- Cover the dish and leave to soak overnight, in the fridge.
- The mixture needs to be quite a moist and wet consistency to allow the oats to absorb the liquid.
- Next morning, serve spoonfuls of the oats into a bowl, add yogurt, fruit, sultanas, sweetener as you wish.
Told you it was easy! If you find it too lemony then reduce to juice of 1 & half lemons.
We love to use this Coconut Yogurt. It comes in vanilla or natural.
100% dairy free making it a great vegan yogurt choice.
Do you eat Bircher Muesli?
I would love to hear from you if you do.
What toppings you like to add to yours and if your recipe differs to mine. I love to add shredded red apple, coconut yogurt, some juicy sultanas and a dash of maple syrup – yummy!!!
Happy, healthy, mindful eating friends.
Michelle x x